Tonsillitis is a disorder involving inflammation of the tonsils. There are two tonsils, situated on either side of the back of the throat and they form part of the body’s immune system.Today, tonsils are recognized for their role in filtering harmful bacteria and viruses that could cause more serious infections. Usually, tonsils do their job well. But sometimes bacteria or viruses get into the tonsils. When this happens, you have tonsillitis.
There are several variations of tonsillitis: acute, recurrent, and chronic tonsillitis and peritonsillar abscess. Viral or bacterial infections and immunologic factors lead to tonsillitis and its complications. The tonsils become enlarged and red, and can be coated with a yellow, gray, or white substance.
Tonsillitis is extremely common in children and young people but it can occur at any age. The uvula dangles down from the soft palate between the tonsils. There are other tissues in the body that will produce antibodies to fight infection. Most cases of tonsillitis go away without antibiotic medication.
Tonsils are lymph glands or lymph nodes located at the back of the throat where they catch incoming germs before they enter the breathing passage. The adenoids are similar to the tonsils but are located in the upper portion of the throat behind the nose, where they can’t be seen. The tonsils release antibodies into the throat to prevent infection from spreading into the lungs (a useful service to children, who are highly susceptible to ear, nose, and throat infections).
The patient’s history often helps identify the type of tonsillitis (i.e., acute, recurrent, chronic) that is presen.The tonsils (palatine tonsils) sit on either side of the throat and project out into it. Tonsillitis can spread from person to person through throat or nasal fluids – this includes saliva, hand contact or airborne droplets.
When tonsils become so enlarged that a child’s voice changes, it is called “hot potato” voice. This is one sign that the tonsils should be removed.
Causes of Tonsillitis
The common causes of Tonsillitis include the following :
- Tonsillitis is caused by many different infectious agents, both viral and bacterial.
- Herpes simplex virus.
- The influenza virus.
- Streptococcus (commonly referred to as “strep”) bacteria (the most common cause of tonsillitis)
- Parainfluenza viruses.
- Streptococcus pyogenes (GABHS) and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).
- Bacterial tonsillitis may be caused by a number of different bacteria , but the most common are streptococcus group A bacteria .
- Measles virus.
Symptoms of Tonsillitis
Some sign and symptoms related to Tonsillitis include the following :
- Swollen, red tonsils (often coated with a yellow, gray, or white membrane).
- Difficult or painful swallowing.
- Slisters or painful ulcerated areas on the throat.
- Fever and chills.
- Enlarged, tender glands (lymph nodes) in the jaw and neck.
- Loss of appetite.
- Enlarged glands in the neck.
- A yellow or white coating on the tonsils.
- A funny-sounding voice.
- Difficulty or pain swallowing.
- The symptoms of chronic tonsillitis include a persistent or recurrent sore throat, difficulty in swallowing or breathing, and foul breath.
Treatment of Tonsillitis
Here is list of the methods for treating Tonsillitis :
- If the tonsillitis is caused by strep bacteria, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics, a type of medicine that kills bacteria.
- Give pain-relieving syrup and plenty of fluids.
- Viral tonsillitis is not treated with antibiotic medications, as antibiotics are ineffective at defeating viral infections, but may be treated with other antiviral medications.
- In many cases of tonsillitis, the pain caused by the inflamed tonsils warrants the prescription of topical anesthetics for temporary relief.
- Use a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier in the room where you spend the most time.
- Eat smooth foods, including flavored gelatin, soups, ice-pops, and applesauce.
- When the condition is chronic or recurrent, a surgical procedure to remove the tonsils is often recommended.
Find This Post Useful?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating: / 5. Vote count:
Lose Weight Fast: Discover Our Best Flat Belly Diet Pills For 2019
Overall Rating: 9.9/10
Phen375 is the all natural, powerful phentermine alternative with a difference. Our #1 choice for fast, safe, effective fat burning and weight loss. Phen375 also offers a 60-day money-back guarantee on every order so you know the product is good!
Innovative weight loss product Phen375 combines a powerful appetite suppressing, fat burning weight loss supplement with a gentle metabolism booster, providing a unique, 24-hour weight loss solution. (Check out some of the success stories on the official website).
Made with clinically backed ingredients and vegetarian and vegan friendly capsules, Phen375 burns calories, increases metabolism and boosts energy levels, while reducing cravings, promoting better sleep and encouraging fat breakdown 24-7.
If you're serious about losing weight and care about your health, then Phen375 should be your choice.
Pro-Tip: Buy the multi-bottle packs for the best value price! Learn More…
Overall Rating: 9.5/10
Pure Forskolin 250 gives your weight loss efforts a big boost by increasing fat breaking enzymes and hormones within the body. You’ll break through stored fat and excess calories, making your weight loss journey quick and easy.
Forskolin has been shown in clinical tests to ‘elicit favorable changes in body composition by significantly decreasing body fat percentage and fat mass…’
The active ingredient found in the product has also been used for years to treat a variety of different ailments and conditions. The ingredient is safe, beneficial, and has received very positive medical trial results. Forskolin helps to increase your metabolism, allowing your body to burn through more calories each day, meaning you’ll lose weight faster. Learn More…
Overall Rating: 9/10
Phen24 keeps your metabolism ticking throughout the night, eliminates the evening cravings that can undo your weight loss efforts and helps you get the restorative sleep you need to regulate your hunger hormones and make better dieting decisions during your waking hours.
By day, you’ll feel more energized and motivated to exercise (helping you further increase your metabolism to burn even more calories). And because Phen24 boosts your metabolism throughout the day as well as the night, you’ll be burning calories 24/7.