In Europe, another bacterium, Borrelia afzelii, also causes Lyme disease. In 1975, unusually large numbers of children in Lyme, Conn., were diagnosed with what appeared to be juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Lyme disease or Lyme borreliosis is the most common tick-borne disease in North America and Europe , and the second fastest-growing infectious disease in the United States after AIDS.
Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans by the bite of infected blacklegged ticks.
The rural location of the Lyme outbreak and the onset of illness during summer and early fall suggested that the transmission of the disease was by an arthropod vector. The disease is reported worldwide and throughout the United States. Lyme disease affects both humans and animals. Even in endemic areas, not all deer ticks are infected with the bacteria that cause Lyme disease, and only a small percentage of people or pets bitten by a deer tick actually become sick.
Lyme disease may cause symptoms affecting the skin, nervous system, heart and/or joints of an individual. Lyme disease is diagnosed based on symptoms, physical findings (e.g., rash), and the possibility of exposure to infected ticks; laboratory testing is helpful in the later stages of disease.
Lyme disease is carried by deer ticks and western black-legged ticks (found mostly on the Pacific Coast). These ticks are about the size of a sesame seed. These ticks acquire the bacteria from mice and then infect humans by biting them and passing the bacteria into a person’s bloodstream. Lyme disease has been reported in 49 states and on four different continents. The is growing concern that Dermacentor variabilis (the American dog tick) may also be capable of transmitting the disease.
Still, it’s important to take common-sense precautions in areas where Lyme disease is prevalent. Delayed or inadequate treatment may often lead to a chronic illness that is disabling and difficult to treat.
Causes of Lyme Disease
The common causes of Lyme Disease include the following :
- It is carried by the black-legged tick (deer tick) and the western black-legged tick.
- The germs travel through your blood and stop in various places in your body.
- They can cause a number of symptoms, some of which are severe.
- Risk factors for Lyme disease include walking in high grasses, other activities that increase tick exposure, and having a pet that may carry ticks home.
- Lyme disease is spread when you are bitten by a tick that is infected with B. burgdorferi bacteria.
- A germ that is carried by a tick causes Lyme disease. This germ is a bacterium that is transferred when a tick bites through the skin.
Symptoms of Lyme Disease
Some sign and symptoms related to Lyme Disease are as follows :
- One sign of Lyme disease is a rash, which may appear 3 to 30 days after a tick bite.
- Joint inflammation in the knees and other large joints.
- In Europe, people with advanced Lyme disease may develop skin nodules and patches of thinning skin on their hands, elbows or knees.
- Stiff neck.
- Also, there can be arthritis, and loss of feeling in the arms, legs, or feet.
- Neurological problems.
- Unusual or strange behavior.
- Fever and chills.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
Treatment of Lyme Disease
Here is the list of the methods for treating Lyme Disease :
- Antibiotics are prescribed based on disease stages and manifestations. Doxycycline, tetracycline, cefuroxime, ceftriaxone, and penicillin are some of the choices.
- Some people may need medicine by a shot.
- Pain relievers do not help to combat Lyme disease but may relieve some of the symptoms. They include : Acetaminophen (for example, Tylenol), Nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Patients with chronic arthritis that does not respond to IV antibiotics may need a synovectomy to eradicate the inflammatory arthritis in the involved joint.
- Acetaminophen is often given to manage the pain of Lyme disease.
Find This Post Useful?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating: / 5. Vote count:
Lose Weight Fast: Discover Our Best Flat Belly Diet Pills For 2019
Overall Rating: 9.9/10
Phen375 is the all natural, powerful phentermine alternative with a difference. Our #1 choice for fast, safe, effective fat burning and weight loss. Phen375 also offers a 60-day money-back guarantee on every order so you know the product is good!
Innovative weight loss product Phen375 combines a powerful appetite suppressing, fat burning weight loss supplement with a gentle metabolism booster, providing a unique, 24-hour weight loss solution. (Check out some of the success stories on the official website).
Made with clinically backed ingredients and vegetarian and vegan friendly capsules, Phen375 burns calories, increases metabolism and boosts energy levels, while reducing cravings, promoting better sleep and encouraging fat breakdown 24-7.
If you're serious about losing weight and care about your health, then Phen375 should be your choice.
Pro-Tip: Buy the multi-bottle packs for the best value price! Learn More…
Overall Rating: 9.5/10
Pure Forskolin 250 gives your weight loss efforts a big boost by increasing fat breaking enzymes and hormones within the body. You’ll break through stored fat and excess calories, making your weight loss journey quick and easy.
Forskolin has been shown in clinical tests to ‘elicit favorable changes in body composition by significantly decreasing body fat percentage and fat mass…’
The active ingredient found in the product has also been used for years to treat a variety of different ailments and conditions. The ingredient is safe, beneficial, and has received very positive medical trial results. Forskolin helps to increase your metabolism, allowing your body to burn through more calories each day, meaning you’ll lose weight faster. Learn More…
Overall Rating: 9/10
Phen24 keeps your metabolism ticking throughout the night, eliminates the evening cravings that can undo your weight loss efforts and helps you get the restorative sleep you need to regulate your hunger hormones and make better dieting decisions during your waking hours.
By day, you’ll feel more energized and motivated to exercise (helping you further increase your metabolism to burn even more calories). And because Phen24 boosts your metabolism throughout the day as well as the night, you’ll be burning calories 24/7.