Claims and Common Uses:
- Enhances the immune system
- Lowers blood pressure
Parts Used: Berries, leaves, and wood
Preparations: Dried leaves, tincture, fluid extract, dried aqueous extract
Side Effects and Warnings of Mistletoe:
- In large doses it was reported to cause abortions or prevent conception.
- Berries have been reported to be more toxic than the leaves and stems; however the leaves and stems both contain similar toxic compounds.
- Fatal poisonings in children have occurred after ingestion of the berries.
- Do not take mistletoe if you are taking a monoamineoxidase inhibitor (MAO inhibitor), it will cause very serious side effects.
- Avoid foods that contain high amounts of tyramine (all wines, beer and ale; cheese, products made with large amount of yeast, salami, sausage, bologna, pepperoni, pickled herring, meat extracts, chicken liver, salted dried fish, avocado, tomato, green bean pods, eggplant, Italian broad beans, banana, red plums, oranges, figs, raisins, soy sauce, bouillon cubes, soya, stored beef)
Find This Post Useful?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating: / 5. Vote count:
Be the first to rate this post.